Friday, 16 December 2011

Objections over homes plan for front garden

A BID to build two houses on the front garden of a home in Knowle Wood Road, Dorridge has drawn objections from neighbours.

untitled



Click the headline or link below to read the rest of this story.

The plan for the detached homes on the front gardens of 21 and 21a has seen eight letters of objection sent to Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council.

They said the homes would be “totally out of character” with the road and were an “inappropriate, over-intensive development”.

The Dorridge and District Residents Association were among the objectors the plan, submitted by Terry Webber for the garden opposite Bushwood Drive.

But a council officer’s report says councillors should approve the scheme as it would not “unduly into the streetscene or harm the local distinctiveness of the area”.

The plan “would retain the spacious character of the surrounding area, having a layout that is typical of surrounding plots” they said.

There are “spacious gaps” to neighbours, it says.

And it said much vaunted rules introduced by the coalition Government to stop “garden grabbing” did not mean the plan should be refused.

This took gardens out of the definition of previously developed land, which is easier to get permission to build on.

But the report says this “does not create a presumption against housing on all garden sites” and council policies backed using small parcels of land for housing.

Another plan to be considered by councillors includes demolishing a bungalow at 70 Avenue Road for a six bedroom detached house.

Five objections were received with concerns over “visual intrusion” on neighbours, overdevelopment and loss of gaps between properties.

But the planning officer again recommended approval, saying the plan “would
be in keeping with the existing scale and character of the area and of a design
that would complement its surroundings”.

The council’s planning committee will be asked to make a decision on both plans when it meets on Wednesday at 4.30pm. The public can attend.

What do you think? Leave your comments below. No registration required. Posts must abide by the terms and conditions. Report comments at news@thesilhillian.co.uk.



Click here to get stories by email.


8 comments:

  1. Um wonder why the DDRA object to this one......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully none of those complaining were supporters of Sainsbury's.
    How can DDRA oppose this when they have inflicted Sainsbury's on to those living near to Forest Court.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god - how embarrassingly stupid are some people?

    This is a development on a GARDEN, Sainsburys is a development on a brownfield site! Even Drovs were in favour of development of some sort.

    People who write thick comments like the ones above should be sent to live on an island somewhere very far away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who's the NIMBY now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 15.05 Agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How daft- everyone wanted forest court to be developed, the only debate was "into what?".

    That doesn't mean that every other bit of development should now go through regardless, and neither does it mean the DDRA have no role.

    Move on, and please stop making facile observations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MrMs Webber and the council arent silly are they? Mtg and decision on 21st Dec = office parties,Xmas shopping etc etc. Scheduling it for then was a slightly clever but blatent slap-in-the-face to residents. To which residents should respond by forcing Councillors and the Planning chief to defend themselves in public immediately irrespective of the decision taken.
    Ex-resident

    ReplyDelete
  8. people from knowle and dorridge are so anal and have way too much time on their hands. if you dont like it, close the curtains and shut up

    ReplyDelete