Saturday, 18 February 2012

MP Spelman gets injunction over son story

MERIDEN MP Caroline Spelman has won a High Court injunction to stop a newspaper publishing a story about her son.

Click the headline or link below to read the rest of this story.

Yet the Conservative failed in her bid to get a “superinjunction” to stop the existence of the order being revealed.

Mrs Spelman and her husband, Mark, got the emergency injunction on behalf of their 17-year-old son Jonathan on Saturday last week.

The order prevented the Daily Star Sunday from publishing “sensitive personal information” about him.

The High Court ruled that the MP had a reasonable expectation of privacy that was not outweighed by the public interest in the story being published.

In a written judgment, Mr Justice Lindblom said the story would have a “very significant harmful effect on the claimant” and a “harmful effect on his ... emotional well-being”.

The newspaper accepted that Mrs Spelman's position as cabinet secretary was a "legitimate and relevant aspect of its story".

The Judge, who pointed the the teenager is a minor, said: “This is, I accept, a case in which sensitive personal information is involved.”

There was a "political dimension which cannot be ignored" but the story was not in the public interest "to a significant degree".

But overturning the bid for a “superinjunction” he said the family had been given "sufficient protection" with the injunction.

What do you think? Leave your comments below. No registration required. Posts must abide by the terms and conditions. Report comments at news@thesilhillian.co.uk.

Click here to get stories by email.

1 comment:

  1. If we're not allowed to know the truth we will merely make up our own versions of the truth.

    ReplyDelete