Saturday, 3 November 2012

Sainsbury's cannot confirm Dorridge start date

SAINSBURY’S has said it cannot confirm when work will begin on its Dorridge superstore – while a nearby petrol station it bought is not expected to re-open until next year.

Click the headline or link below to read the rest of this story.

The firm said it finalised legal agreements almost 12 months after planning permission was given for the Forest Court scheme by Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council.

A spokesman said: “We are currently in the process of tendering for the demolition of Forest Court and the build of the new store, although at this moment we are unable to confirm a date for when this will happen.

“However, we are also using this time to plan the detail of the development carefully, taking into account various elements, including safety, access, parking and day to day construction operations. Minimising disruption to neighbouring residents and businesses, surgery staff and patients, and the wider community is extremely important to us.

“In the meantime, we now have 24-hour security on site at Forest Court and have been liaising with the Police to combat any issues of anti-social behaviour.

“We remain committed to regenerating the Forest Court site and we look forward to being part of the community in Dorridge.”

It was announced in July that the firm had bought the Total petrol station in Grange Road, which it pledged to keep open for the “full Sainsbury’s offer”.

Yet it recently closed and the firm said: “We are developing a programme of works, taking into consideration any planning requirements this may entail.

“We appreciate the patience of residents whilst our plans are developed and the site remains closed.”

The Dorridge & District Residents Association said it expects a planning application to be made to the council for the site.

It said: “Given that the application will need submitting and there needs to be a decision from SMBC who are allowed up to eight weeks to determine an application, then it is unrealistic to expect the petrol station to re-open until well into the New Year.”

17 comments:

  1. Why on eath could it not stay operational whilst planning was obtained?






    ReplyDelete
  2. Disgraceful! How long have they had already to sort it out? What about all the out of work builders in the Midlands? I wonder if they actually want to develop the site, or are looking for another buyer and stalling everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's ridiculous. They've pushed good businesses out of Forest Court, boarded it up so Dorridge looks run down and derelict and now won't even commit to a start date. And now the Total station is closed, Esso on Widney Road seem to think they can charge what they like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in favour of the development but agree wholeheartedly with 'Julia in Knowle'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also with above contributer - I'm for the development but come on Sainsbury's - tell us what's going on - pretty disingenuous not to when you have had active local support for the scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Sandwich Board7 November 2012 at 11:57

    What's happening to the old Dixon's on Station Approach? It's all blacked out, and looks very cave-like. Are they going to turn it into Santa's grotto?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Waitrose say that building work in Knowle will start in the spring. If they can give a commitment, why not Sainsbury's?

    ReplyDelete
  8. why has Sainsburys stopped tarting up the Station Approach properties, they were starting to look very spruce, but the Dixons and Chinese buildings look terrible.
    does anyone think they've been waiting to see what happens with Waitrosse?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been living abroad but have just come back. What the hell has happened to Dorridge? The shopping centre boarded up! The garage boarded up! What's next?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barti pleased you are back.

    What happen is Sainsbury took over thye village and don't give a fig about the people who live here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Sainsbury's don't want people thinking they are connected with the village while it looks such a dump. Would you want your name plastered all over a boarded up shopping centre?

      Delete
    2. Barti,
      Good job you were away whilst the village was falling into dericliction, luckily, we residents are fortunate that Sainsburys have decided to build a store to resurrect the centre of the village and return it to a thriving commercial centre.
      Yes, it is taking a little longer than we hoped but it will be worth it.

      Delete
  11. Who has left the shopping centre boarded up?

    Sainsbury

    ReplyDelete
  12. Silhillian/local journalists - can you try and get any sense out of sainsburies for us please???

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a former trader of Forest Court for many years, I watched helplessly as Sainsburys destroyed my business. They are ruthless,Wolves dressed as sheep.They dont have to justify anything now, they have their application , thanks to the support of local residents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you enlighten us to how Sainsbury's destroyed your business? I understand that other Forest Court traders have actually been helped by Sainsbury's with their relocations?
      Just interested in what your experiences were?
      Thanks

      Delete
  14. Hmm - Do you always seek out derelict shopping centres to do your shopping? Did it occur to you that traders might not want to be forced out. Do you really think they should be grateful? just interested in what planet you come from?

    ReplyDelete