Monday, 6 January 2014

Work to start on Sainsbury's Dorridge

WORK was today set to start on building a Sainsbury’s in Dorridge.


Click the headline or link below to read the rest of this story.


Contractor RG Group was set to put of hoarding around Forest Court so demolition can begin.

Workers began stripped out the 1960s precinct last month and the car park was closed yesterday. The upper car park will stay open for Dorridge Practice patients.

Work will take place from 8am to 6pm in the week and “occasional” Saturdays from 8am to 1pm.

Parking will be limited to two hours Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm on Forest Road from Friday January 17 as part of the plans and last up to 18 months.

The council said this is “to ensure the provision of short stay parking within the local area whilst Forest Court car park is closed due to demolition works”.


See a map of the restrictions here.

A statement said: “As part of our commitment, we are preparing many materials needed for the development away from the site and having them delivered to reduce the amount of activity in the village centre.

“We’re also looking to have our contractors  arrive at a non-residential location away from the site so they can be bussed in and out, reducing the need for multiple vehicles and car parking requirements.”

Sainsbury’s has already begun refurbishment of buildings on Station Approach, part of its planning permission deal with Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council.

The firm said: “The scheme will revitalise the heart of Dorridge for local people and visitors alike, creating new jobs and providing a retail and social hub to be enjoyed for years to come.

“We will be doing our absolute utmost every day to deliver the project with minimum disruption to our neighbours and the community, which we will keep updated throughout the development.”

The controversial development will include six retail units, 184 parking spaces, café and extended and refurbished doctors’ surgery.

A 1,812sqm sales area plan was approved in November 2011 but Sainsbury’s then said work would not start in 2013 because of economic conditions.

It then won council permission to increase the sales area to2,276sqm, some 26 per cent larger. A 2,462sqm plan was rejected in 2010.



What do you think? Leave your comments below. No registration required. Posts must abide by the terms and conditions. Report comments at news@thesilhillian.co.uk.
Click here to get stories by email.