Saturday, 5 December 2009

MP: social services report "disappointing"

A DAMNING report on Solihull services is “disappointing” and improvements must be made, Meriden MP Caroline Spelman said.

She spoke after Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council was rated one of the worst in England for social services.

The Conservative MP, right, emphasised that care is delivered by Solihull NHS Care Trust and commissioned by the Tory-controlled council.

She said: “The care trust has been rated adequate which is disappointing as the new amalgam between the NHS and the council has not improved standards to the extent we expected. Although there is no suggestion that adults are not safe in its care.”

Changes needed to be made to give people “more choice and independence” such as letting people decide where money is spent no their care, she said.

Thursday’s report by the Care Quality Commission, the official regulator, also featured individual ratings of care homes.

Mrs Spelman said in a statement: “The two rated poor I am told are not used by the council.

“We always need to look into ways to improve life even for those in highly rated homes, so I call on the new chief executive of the care trust to push forward the pace of change as soon as possible.

“I understand the action plan already exists and needs urgent implementation.”

She said of the CQC: “I would want them to respond to concerns more quickly.”