Thursday, 29 April 2010

Meriden candidates write for The Silhillian

CANDIDATES in the Meriden constituency today write exclusively for The Silhillian on why they want your vote on May 6.

Click the headline or link below to read the rest of this story.

Frank O’Brien (British National Party) and Barry Allcock (UK Independence Party) were asked to contribute but had not at the time of going to press.

Candidates are presented in alphabetical order by party.



caroline spelman


Caroline Spelman (Conservative):

Since 1997, when I was elected as MP for Meriden, I have helped thousands of residents deal with their problems. I have set up and still chair two charities: the Welcome Trust , against drug abuse and Make a Better Life Trust , which deals with domestic violence.

I have campaigned against a second runway at Birmingham Airport and against an unnecessary motorway service station. I have always supported local business growth and encouraged the creation of jobs in the area.- that’s why I want to stop Labour’s NI rise which is a tax on jobs which kill off the recovery

I have fought to keep A&E and Maternity services at Solihull Hospital. I support the NHS and believe people deserve good GPs and dental practices and a first class hospital.

To protect green spaces, I want genuine brownfield sites to be a priority for regeneration -instead of ‘garden-grabbing ‘, to provide housing in the future.

We need to put more police on patrol by reducing the time spent on paperwork, so that they can combat the rise of violent crime and anti-social behaviour more effectively.

I support Conservative plans to l restore discipline in schools so children can learn and progress. We need to build a thriving economy so we can create jobs and opportunities to give our young people.

I fully endorse David Cameron’s pledge to keep pensioners’ winter fuel allowances, pension credits, free bus travel, and free over 75s’ TV licences,.

Locally, I want a fairer council grant for Solihull Borough which has been badly treated by Labour, and with the Conservatives’ two year freeze on Council Tax, we should all feel the benefit here.

As part of a united Conservative team, I will work to restore our broken economy, renew our local services, and tackle the complex social issues we face in building a secure future for our children.“


green


Elly Stanton (Green)

My name is Elly Stanton, I am a GP in Sparkhill. I am married to Alan Stanton who is the main community paediatrican for Solihull Care Trust which covers Solihull

and most of Meriden. We have 3 children at secondary school.

I realise I am not going to win this election but the Green base is growing in Meriden and we are confident of getting more councillors elected in the local election

this time around. We need action on a sustainable economy, encouraging our industrial base to reduce its reliance on fossil fuels. We would encourage investment

in renewable energy resources and a reliable public transport system network, including a sensitively-planned high speed rail line to broaden out our economy from

the south-east to the rest of the country. We would build affordable and environmentally-friendly homes and help people make existing housing stock more energy-

efficient too. We would make the NHS and our schools and public buildings more sustainable in energy terms. All these actions would create "green" jobs, thereby

reducing unemployment as we reduce our reliance on oil.

We also would want to reform our voting system to one where the government reflects more closely the numbers of people who voted for each Party.

Vote for me, and help the dream start to become a reality!


ed copy


Ed Williams (Labour):

The way we do politics needs to change. We need a new generation of politicians who have experience outside professional politics, who are genuinely independent and who will not use public life to advance themselves financially.

I have spent the last 10 years as a barrister speaking up for workers, trade unions and businesses in the West Midlands. I have co-founded a UK Charity called Cricket Without Boundaries, which since 2005 has coached cricket to 10,000 children in Africa and trained over 1000 African coaches. I participated in a world first of coaching cricket from Cairo to Cape Town. I also have a radical family heritage, my Great Grandfather E.E.Williams, was one of thirteen signatories of the “Manifesto of English Socialists.”

I hope that my working life shows that I have integrity and independence. That is why I can pledge never to put Party Politics above the interests of the constituency.
I also have a strong link with the West Midlands.

Prior to being selected as Labour’s candidate in Autumn 2007 I had lived and worked in Birmingham as a barrister since 2000. I started my professional life doing cases in the Solihull Magistrates Court, seeing at first hand the problems with anti-social behavior and crime that Meriden faced, particularly in Chelmsley Wood.

Whilst not perfect, I firmly believe that Labour is the party most likely to work towards creating a less unequal society and creating opportunity for more people, particularly the poorest both in Meriden and the country.

If elected I would use my skills acquired in the world outside politics to put something back into the constituency as well as restoring your faith and trust in politics and politicians. That’s why Meriden needs a new face in parliament. Its time for change and a new direction in Meriden.



slater


Simon Slater (Liberal Democrats):

Simon has lived in the borough for most of his life. Being educated at Alderbrook School and going on to Solihull Sixth Form College his roots are firmly in the area.

As well as being a member of Solihull Borough Council he works part time as a tutor at Liverpool University.

Simon said “It is a great honour and privilege to be selected to represent the Liberal Democrats in Meriden at the general election. I look forward to taking the positive message for change that the Liberal Democrats offer to all corners of Meriden.”

“I want to represent everyone in Meriden and ensure that the opportunities and life chances of those living in the most deprived areas of the constituency are equal to that of those living in the wealthiest parts. Presently there are huge inequalities within Meriden and Britain as a whole which need to be addressed.”

The Liberal Democrats are campaigning on four key pledges to make Britain fairer:

Fairer taxes that put money back in your pocket

Pay no tax on the first £10,000 you earn cutting most tax bills by £700.

A fair chance for every child

Smaller class sizes, £2.5 billion extra cash for schools and abolish

university tuition fees.

A fair future: create jobs by making Britain greener

Invest in public transport, renewable energy and energy efficient

homes.

A fair deal for you from politicians!

Make politicians accountable; give YOU the right to sack corrupt MPs

Simon is committed to sorting out Britain’s economic troubles and making the long term decisions to get the economy moving again, coupled with the need to ensure a society based on fairness for all.



nikki


Nikki Sinclaire MEP (Solihull and Meriden Residents Association)

Last year I was elected to the European Parliament where I now sit as an Independent. I am proud of my work there representing you for example campaigning to get the referendum on our membership of the European Union. I am also proud that I am the only UK parliamentarian to have had their accounts passed by auditors since last year scandal that rocked parliament. So, why do I want to take a £20,000 a year pay cut and represent you as Meriden's MP?

Because I feel passionately if `People before politics` is to be more than an empty phrase, we must begin reconnecting politics with local concerns and taking those concerns to the heart of government

I would like you to vote for me as a local resident candidate to speak up for your interests, not the interests of the whips and the lobbyists of the political parties and big business.

In Meriden we have serious local concerns such as employment, immigration, local healthcare, the preservation of essential local services and, of course our environment including our green belt, and our local rural communities.

I am not pretending that I have all the answers to these serious issues, but what I do offer you, is myself as a representative, who will take into account your concerns and work with whatever party advocates the best solutions to these political issues.

I will not be bound by a party whip and stuck with a dogma that is detrimental to you. It is time for transparent politics not back room deals by shady politicians.

We have seen, not too far away from here, in Wyre Forest, how Independent MP, DR. Richard Taylor has proven to be successful. I have joined SAMRA to stand alongside other local residents, ordinary people to speak up for the people of Solihull and Meriden. I ask for your trust and vote on May 6th to be your MP, Putting Local People First!