Thursday, 8 April 2010

MP Spelman questions Waitrose plan

MERIDEN MP Caroline Spelman has questioned a controversial Waitrose plan for Knowle.

The Conservative told The Silhillian she had concerns about parking and plans to re-locate the village hall and ten bungalows.

Kimberley Developments wants to put a store on the site of the village hall which would be moved to a former bowling green by The Red Lion car park.

The bungalows fronting St John’s Close parallel with the High Street would be moved to various locations in the area to make way for parking, an extra 52 spaces to 180.

Click the headline or link below to read the rest of this story.

Mrs Spelman, who constituency includes the village, said: “I have received lots of representations about the proposed Waitrose in Knowle.

“The majority are against the development not because of any inherent dislike of the supermarket chain but because of the unsuitability of the location.

“There is already a Tesco supermarket in Knowle and even now it can be hard to park, so how the area would cope with a new supermarket with three times the expected number of customers is hard to imagine.”

She said: “A number of existing structures would have to go in order to make way for the new store and its parking and these include the Village Hall and the sheltered housing around St John’s Close.

“I am familiar with both as I hold surgeries in the village hall and it is so much in demand it is hard to get bookings.

“I make home visits to the residents in sheltered housing and I know how much they appreciate the convenience and layout of their present homes.

“While replacements are proposed for both, I wonder how successful these will be when located in a busy supermarket car park.”

She applauded The Knowle Society for holding a public meeting on the issue at Arden School last month, which she said she could not attend as Parliament was sitting.

Mrs Spelman said “I have recommended that the society draw up a Village Plan as other villages in my constituency have done to help achieve what the community wants rather than being driven to respond to planning applications.

“In due course I will submit my own position once a date is set for it to be considered by the planning committee for it is councillors, not the MP, who decide this one but please do let me have your views as I form mine.”

Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council this week told The Silhillian it was ‘not likely’ to be put to the April 21 meeting of the planning committee for a decision.

Its meetings after that are May 26, June 16 and July 7.

Click here for The Silhillian’s stories about the plan.

What do you think? Leave your comments below. No registration required.

Click here to get stories by email.