Friday, 18 June 2010

MP draws England in sweepstake

MERIDEN MP Caroline Spelman will be giving England an extra MP in the World Cup tonight after drawing the team in an office sweepstake.

The secretary of state for the environment has drawn her national team at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.

The side play Algeria at 7.30pm GMT tonight.

Click the headline or link below to read the rest of this story.

Mrs Spelman said: “I am excited at the prospect of the World Cup and I’ve drawn England as a team in the sweep-stake in the department I now have a vested interest in them winning!

“I recognise the importance of the national game. Everywhere I see cars with England flags or displayed outside homes, which all show the hope that so many people attach to this four –yearly tournament.”

She said: “Football can unite many different sections of society. Nationally and locally, it can also provide a much-needed outlet for young people to work as a team and channel their energies.

“I hope that England win the World Cup in South Africa on July 11th and that we will have some exciting games on the way to victory.”