SOLIHULL MP Lorely Burt hit out at “sexist and anti-Catholic” Royal succession laws as Prince William and Kate Middleton announced their engagement.
Click the headline or link below to read the rest of this story.
The Liberal Democrat has tabled a motion in Parliament calling for a change to laws which state males succeed females, even if they are younger, and cannot marry a Catholic.
It says “these two antiquated and discriminatory rules have no place in a modern monarchy”.
Parliament must “legislate to end these out-dated, sexist and anti-Catholic aspects of the constitution” it says.
In a statement, Mrs Burt said: “Obviously the news of the engagement is wonderful and I’d like to wish Prince William and Kate a long and happy marriage, but I think we’ve got to look at the wider picture.
“I believe that this presents the perfect time to look at our outdated process of succession.
“To say to the eldest child they might not inherit the throne simply because they are a girl is an insult to all women
“Furthermore, to forbid marriage to a Catholic to any royal who might accede to the throne has no place in a Britain which purports to treat people equally, regardless of sex or religion.
“I think it’s about time for our Royal Family to enjoy the same freedoms and equalities as everyone else in Britain.”
Meanwhile, Conservative Meriden MP Caroline Spelman said in a sentence: “I want to add my own congratulations to those so eloquently expressed by Prime Minister David Cameron on Prince William’s engagement to Kate Middleton.
“None of us present in Cabinet on Tuesday will forget how David read out the note announcing the engagement and the joy we all shared at the news.
“I’m sure many people remember the sadness of William’s early life, especially losing his mother so tragically when he was only fifteen.
“He has grown into a fine young man, serving his country in the armed forces.
“Anyone watching the newly engaged couple’s television interview could not help but notice the warmth and love between them.
“I’m sure my constituents will join me in wishing William and Kate a long and happy life together.”