A DORRIDGE resident has lost a bid to put up gates and
pillars outside their home over concerns about car thefts.

Click the headline or link below to read the rest of this story.
Derek Dauncey, of Boningale
Way , Four Ashes, has failed to overturn a Solihull
Metropolitan Borough Council decision that refused permission for the gates, up
to 1.85m (6ft).
His planning applications says: “The application proposals
are intended to increase security to the property and especially to deter
possible unauthorised taking away of motor vehicles pareked in the forecourt
area to the house.”
It said the plan “will have no material impact on the
overall streetscene”.
Mr Dauncey appealed to the independent Planning
Inspectorate, which has upheld the council’s decision.
Inspector Jonathan Manning said: “Given the open layout and
spacious environment of the street scene, I consider that the enclosure of the
frontage of the appeal site would not be in keeping with the character and
appearance of the street scene to its detriment.”
He said: “I acknowledge that the application has been made
to address security concerns with regard to vehicle thefts following the advice
of a security expert and I note the information provided of crimes in the area
and its increasing level.
“However, on balance I consider that the reason for the
development does not outweigh the harm that would result should the proposal
proceed. I am also mindful that I observed a double garage within the appeal
site, which could also be utilised for such purposes.”